Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Friday, July 01, 2005

Eurasia in Balance: The US and Regional Power Shift - June 29th - Heritage Foundation


 Posted by Picasa

Unfortunately, this Heritage lecture wasn’t up to par with some of the previous ones. Central Asia was the topic of discussion. Admittedly, I know very little about that part of the world, and this was probably the problem. I simply failed to enjoy a lecture on an issue I’m not particularly interested in and know nothing about. I had to agree with the speakers that Central Asia is overlooked all too often. However, I did come away from the event with a greater awareness of that part of the world and its potential security concerns. The speakers felt China and India wanted to exert too much control over the region. They also feared that radical Islamists would influence Muslims in the area and try to set up an HQ there. The panel also mentioned the abundant resources in the region. It concluded that the US should take a closer look at Central Asia and realize the benefits of closer cooperation with its leaders. It makes sense to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home